This visa program is designed for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian education provider. It provides an opportunity to live, study and work in Australia on a temporary basis.
The subclass 485 visa comprises of two streams:
- Graduate Work stream; and
- Post Study Work stream
The Graduate Work Stream can be granted for 18 months. The Post Study Work stream can be granted between two and four years depending on the course of study.
As a general rule, to apply for this visa, you must:
- Be under 50 years of age
- Have completed qualifications in the last 6 months in a CRICOS registered course in an occupation listed on the skilled occupation list or be a higher education degree;
- Have met an English language requirement (an overall IELTS score of at least 6 with a minimum a score of 5 in each of the four test components or equivalent) unless you are exempt;
- Hold an eligible visa;
- Meet health and character requirements; and
- Have no outstanding debts to the Australian government.
In addition to the above, each stream has separate further requirements.